Friday, June 19, 2015

Caribou Falls, Minnesota

Another day, another waterfall … It is common place when you are traveling along Minnesota’s Highway 61.  At Mile 70.0, you will find the access and parking for the Caribou State Wayside rest area.  This is where the trail to Caribou Falls is located.

The trail to Caribou Falls is a gentle 3/4 mile ascent through a fern-lined, birch forest trail.   Ferns are one of my favorite plants.  I think they make the forest floor look like a carpet of green feathers.  
Birch forest trail
Ferns along the trail
Next, the trail continues with a series of wooden steps (156 of them by my count). 
Stairs to Caribou Falls
We can’t see any sign of a waterfall until the last turn in the stairway and then it magically appears before us.  At the base of the stairs, we see the rock walls are acting as a “bowl” and holding the river like a pool.  It is a good thing it isn’t crowded here because there isn’t much room (at least on dry land).  There are a couple of other people walking around the edge of the water … but not me!  I prefer to keep my feet dry.  To my right, I can see Caribou Falls (35’ high) cascading down into this pool.   Since I am staying by the stairs, my view of the falls is limited but still good.
Caribou Falls
Those who venture down the stairs must now go up the stairs.  It is a good cardio workout.  By the time we return to the car, the clouds are moving into the area.

For information on the North Shore’s Waterfalls, click on the following link:

To view a detailed Mile-By-Mile Guide of the North Shore Road (PDF), click on the following link:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my travel blog. I review comments on a regular basis and appreciate any feedback offered.