Thursday, September 3, 2015

Passion for the Past - Historic White Pine Village

LOCATION1687 S Lakeshore Drive, Ludington, Michigan (about two miles south of Ludington)
Over the summer, I have visited 12 historic villages throughout Michigan.  The number of buildings in each site ranged from just a few buildings to 29 buildings.  The White Pine Village had the largest concentration of historic buildings (29) we have seen this summer.  
Considering many historic villages are free or under $5, the $9 adult admission seems a little high but they do offer “mini” discounts ($1 or less) for certain groups.   There are restrooms here and many of the buildings are handicap accessible.  We spent 1-2 hours walking around the Village. 
The Village is operated by the Mason County Historical Society.  It is open on Tuesdays – Saturdays from May through October and Sundays from June 1-September 1.  It is closed on Mondays. 

In 1976, the village started with 11 buildings and over the years has added 18 more buildings to its collection.  The Hamlin Lake Cottage is the newest addition to the village (2015).  Each building has been recreated to take you back to another time (mid-1800’s to mid-1900’s). 
My main reason for visiting the Village was to see the one-room school but there are other interesting things to see too.  
Marchido School (1895)
The village has a quilt barn.  It is a stop on the Mason County Barn Quilt Trail.  I was born and raised on a farm.  Some things take me back to those days … like a hand-sewn quilt that kept me warm on cold winter nights. We picked the colors and pattern and my Mom sewed the quilt.  I think that’s why I like quilt barns.  It’s combining two childhood memories into one.
Jorissen barn
There is a brochure that leads you through a self-guided tour of the buildings  I like self-guided tours – I can spend as much or as little time in each place as I wish. 
Abe Nelson Lumbering Museum
Burns Farmhouse (1880)
Hawley Museum
Garden
Hamlin Lake Cottage (late 1800's)
Sidon Print Shop
Pere Marquette Town Hall (aka Ice Cream Shop)
Trappers Cabin
Outbuildings
Fire Station
Hardware Store & Doctor's Office
Mason County Courthouse (1849)

For more information on the Historic White Pine Village, click on the following link:

Refer to my blog post on the Old Mission Peninsula for more photos and information on quilt barns by clicking on the following link:

Refer to my blog on Michigan One Room Schools for more photos and information by clicking on the following link:













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my travel blog. I review comments on a regular basis and appreciate any feedback offered.